Thursday, February 8, 2018

Mangalorean Fish Curry or Meen Gassi Recipe

Mangalorean Fish Curry or Meen Gassi Recipe




This Mangalorean  Fish curry recipe or Meen Gassi recipe is tangy due to the use of tamarind/tetul and rich by the use of fresh grated and ground coconut with other aromatic dry spice mix.

Preparation Time- 15 min
Cooking Time -20-25 min

Ingredients:-


1. Fish ( usually Mackarel is used ) I used silk snapper  3 fillets.

2. Mangalorean Dry roasted spice mix for the Mangalorean Fish Curry recipe or Meen Gassi (Red chillies,Coriander seeds,Cumin seeds,Ajwain or Jowan or Carrom seeds,Black peppercorns,Methi or Fenugreek seeds)

The measurements and preparation of the spice mixture is given in the link below :-

Mangalorean Fish Curry Spice Mix or Masala

3. Fresh grated Coconut ( 1 /2 cup ) I used frozen.
4. Onion 1 big shallot.( Its the size of a golf ball or small orange )
5. Garlic Cloves - 4 medium cloves.
6. Ginger - 1 inch minced.
7. Fresh Chilly - chopped.( as per your heat tolerance ) I used 1.
8. Tamarind ( I used just 1 teaspoon of tamarind concentrate ) .If you are using the tamarind pulp then soak in water and then throw away the seeds and use the soft pulp as per your tartness/sourness preference.
9. Turmeric Powder - For marinating fish 1/4th teaspoon  and for curry 1/4th teaspoon.
10. Salt -  for marinating fish 1/4th teaspoon and 1 teaspoon for curry or as per your taste.
11. Water as needed for curry.
12. Oil ( I used Coconut oil ,you can use any vegetable oil )

Preparation:-

1. Prepare the dry roasted Mangalorean Fish Curry spice or masala mixture as directed in the masala link given above.
2. Grind the dry spice mixture with little water, half of the shallot , grated Coconut and garlic.
3. Marinate the fish with salt and turmeric powder and keep aside.
NOTE - I have fried my Fish and kept aside but usually the fish are not fried but gently and slowly simmered .I like my fish fried and then add to the curry.
4. Chop the other half of the shallot.

Cooking:-

1. Take an utensil add Oil ( I have fried my fish and kept aside so in the same oil i made the curry ).Add the grind paste prepared in point 2 under preparation and gently simmer .Also add very little water.
2. After about 5 min add the chopped shallot and ginger. I added the green chilly at also but you can
add it now.

NOTE - As my Fish are fried I will add it just 5 min before my curry is done but if you are not frying then add it in the curry after 3 min and let it simmer with the curry slowly.

3. Add the tamarind and the salt.

4. Cook till the fish is done and oil seeps out. Adjust the curry consistency as per your liking and add water.

5. Enjoy this Mangalorean Fish Curry or Meen Gassi recipe with hot steamed Rice.

Pictures:-















No comments:

Post a Comment

Sichuan or Szechuan Fried Rice Recipe

Sichuan or Szechuan Fried Rice Recipe This Chinese style Sichuan  fried rice is spicy(you may adjust the spiciness as per you...

Popular from my blog